Saturday, March 11, 2017

A Storm Is Brewing WK. 1 (3/6-3/12)#3


The image in my mind still hasn't set yet. Imagine having an idea so clear in your head but the more you think about it, the more it blurs. Is there anything more annoying than that?

I have tried about a million different fonts, applied different intensities of the color scheme I chose, and used so many various templates that I got a bit dizzy and nauseous after the 30th one. Another frustrating thing is that I don’t have any of the pictures I will be using on the actual magazine yet, this making my mental image more incomplete and foggy. To resolve my problem with the pictures, I decided to use old pictures that I found on my two-page spread subject’s Instagram feed. So even if I would not be using these exact pictures, It would still be the same subject on the cover and page spreads, giving me more of an idea to work with. As I juggled these ideas in my diligent brain, I came upon the realization that I had yet to think about what to name my magazine. I began to flip frantically through the deep files of my long-term memory, to see what’d come up. A few honorable mentions would be:

  • Flamenco
  • Ole
  • Buleria
  • Cante a solea
  • La sevillana
  • Mora
  • El duende
  • Vamo’ Alla

You may notice that my files held a lot of information, but not so much on coming up with original names. This is about the time that I went into full-on panic mode. You see, if your brand name has nothing to do with your product, and doesn’t even fit in the genre you’re going for, it is practically impossible for your work to become popular with your targeted audience. For how could anyone find out about your revolutionary method to wash cars if your brand name is Angry Birds. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other, therefore completely throwing audiences off and never reaching the audience of your choice. So you can imagine my state when I realized that I couldn’t think of any names at all that could entice my target audience into choosing my magazine over others. Granted, mine would be the only one about flamenco, so in that sense I did have an advantage, but a good brand name is still one of the most important features and I was scraping the bottom of an empty barrel with mine. So I decided that I needed to refresh my thoughts, and speak to a wiser voice about my struggle. Sure enough, after a few hours of brain synergy, my mother and I came up with my brand name, “A Lo Andaluz”. I am convinced that this name will not only entice my target audience but it will drive them mad with curiosity until they discover what’s inside.



Even though I beat through some cloudy skies, I can't very well shake the feeling that a storm is brewing on the horizon. So I set out to buy new raining boots and umbrella to combat whatever weather may be headed my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment