Monday, March 6, 2017

The Apex of Ideas WK. 1 (3/6-3/12) #1




In the beginning there was nothing but camera angles and shot techniques. I was set on making a movie opening that would knock the socks off Martin Scorsese in just 2 minutes. I very quickly learned that I would be doing everyone a favor (especially Scorsese), if I focused on making an original magazine instead. I made my decision as I watched some of the previous’ students entries, I knew that anything I could ever create would never amount to the gracefulness and divinity of one of the entries, Hues of Blue by Veronica Bello. Surrendering to my fate of magazine-making and knowing very little about it, I embarked on a journey to browse magazines entered and magazine-making tips. On my travels I found Apex, Emiliana Gallegos' magazine entry that piqued my curiosity, helping me realize that this was definitely the route I not only had to but truly wanted to take. My path became one of passion and creativity and no longer was magazine-making a reminder of my film opening defeat, but all the inspiration I needed to revolutionize the magazine industry evermore.

The fist time I saw a flamenco dress (that I can remember), was when I was about 5 years old, my sister was 12 and she had flamenco performances almost every month. Every spectacle I attended, I couldn't help but gape around in awe at the musician's fervent voice, the passionate fire of the Spanish guitar, and the the vivid burgundy fringe hanging from all the girl's breathtaking dresses. Flamenco is the ardent dance of seduction and spirit, told through the song and dance of the people of Andalucia (one of the many spanish regions). Gypsies, Moors, Spanish Jews and indigenous Andalusians are the very soul of flamenco music and dance. My idea of making an all about flamenco magazine came from the lack of representation I noticed, flamenco has in the media. Of course I have seen flamenco specials on TV and an article or two on a flamenco performer or musician, but (to my knowledge) never has a magazine focused solely on the mastery and beauty of this art form. So I took the initiative of creating one of the very first all about flamenco magazines to be created. I began to map out ideas in my head about what I should include or what the flamenco audience would want to see. After consulting a few of my fellow flamenco enthusiasts, I decided that my best bet would be to use the template of a fashion magazine, but instead of giving a shout out to New York Fashion Week, I’d be highlighting the amazing shows by the National Ballet Company of Spain. And other than featuring lipsticks I couldn’t live without, I’d display flamenco accessories that performers or professionals needed in order to breath.

This journey has challenged me like nothing before, it has taken me back in time, I've encountered my ancestors and discovered my roots, and who wouldn't enjoy time travel? I guess you could say that Gallegos’ Apex launched my imagination into space with no promise of return.


Hues of Blue - Veronica Bello


Apex - Emiliana Gallegos

No comments:

Post a Comment